Sunday, August 14, 2011

Coloring Class

I taught a couple coloring classes in my home this week. I am not an expert but I shared what I know. We did three cards with three different techniques.  The cards themselves are pretty simple so the emphasis could be on the coloring itself.

The first was using water color pencils.
 This stamp is by D. Morgan. I love these stamps but I am abscessed with beach stamps. Watercolor pencils are great because they are fairly inexpensive. Typically, they are light color. Usually when I color with water color pencils, I outline the area, and any detail lines, then spread the color with a paint brush.  The basics are pretty easy for any skill level but you can grow and improve with practice.

The second card was done with odorless mineral spirits (OMS) and colored pencils. It is important that the colored pencils are waxed based but luckily most are. In this technique, you color the picture with colored pencils. You don't have to use a lot of color or create a smooth image because once your are you use a nub dipped in OMS and blend the colors. It makes the colored pencil much bolder colors and smooths & blends the coloring. It is kind of amazing how wonderful it can be. I think I will do a post with a before blended and after blended pictures. It's a great inexpensive technique with amazing results.

The final card was done with Copics. I used E00, E11, E02, R83, RV34, YG63, YG67, Y11, Y15, C1. I love my Copics because they bend so well. I also love the skin tons you can get from Copics. There are some amazing tutorials online already so I will not spend much time on this technique here.

I had a total of 9 people come to the classes. I am offering a Soot class latter this month. I am going to try and teach more classes in the future. If you have questions about these techniques, feel free to ask.  If I don't have an answer, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tips Faye! I love your cards! Kathy O from the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cards and the coloring looks great! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL cards and colouring Faye. Your copic colouring is fantastic..Loz

    ReplyDelete